The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2021-2022 will be Water: A Most Essential Resource. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to marine biology.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, the novel The Sea-Wolf by Jack London, and selected shorter pieces.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will address the influence of water on art.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will introduce students to how water has influenced musical instruments and compositions.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will address the role of water in human history.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on the economics of water.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover permutations and combinations, algebra, and statistics.
“The full subject area outlines will be posted on the U.S. Academic Decathlon® website on May 1 and will also appear in the U.S. Academic Decathlon® Study Guide, which will begin shipping on May 15.
* The 2021–20 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2018–19 U.S. Academic Decathlon®.”